Sunday, June 12, 2011

Past a Week

Students arrived today and everything about it being complete chaos was true. Not that bad kind of chaos but the good kind where everything is hectic and crazy but at the same time a lot of fun.

Now that I have come to know a lot of the summer staff it has become easier to hangout and not feel so alone. Most of the orientation free time I had was spent either tossing a frisbee around, playing volleyball, or editing videos for the first week.

One thing that I was challenged to do yesterday was to let go of something that was holding me back from being content and joyful for a long time. The staff did a four corners prayer and I decided to take a mile hike up to a place called "The Little Brown Church". It did not take long for me to realize how out of shape I was but I pressed on and made it to the top where the elevation was at 6000 ft.

Every staff member was given a rock and for my particular corner we were all asked to leave the rock behind as if it was something that we could let go of. By letting go of that something it would thus allow me to continue passed what had hurt me so bad and push forward with the next best thing. I think I was the last guy out of about 30 people to finally put the rock down and leave.

I told myself that by putting this rock down and not looking back that I would forget about the past and look forward to the next 10 weeks. To not let something continuously bother me to the point where it would kill any joy that I could potentially have. I asked God to help me let go...cause I could not do it alone.

Giving it to God was the best thing I could do, and already I can feel the weight slowly slide off my shoulders and into His hands. If I am going to start healing and growing why not start here...why not start now.

1 comment: